An email newsletter is a powerful and personal way to connect regularly and directly with your customers. When done well, email newsletters can grow your business, increase trust in your brand, and keep your products or services front of mind whenever your subscribers are ready to make a purchase.
What makes a great email newsletter?
The purpose of an email newsletter is to keep your customers engaged and informed; and receiving it should feel like getting an update from an interesting and helpful friend. The best email newsletters will also motivate your readers to do something, such as read your latest blog post or take up an offer.
Eight top tips for a successful email newsletter
- Have a clear, uncluttered and consistent format.
- Reflect your brand personality in the design.
- Keep the text concise – ideally no more than 200 words.
- Use subheadings to tell the story, so busy readers can skim and get your messages even if they don’t read the whole thing.
- Ensure the content is timely and will appeal to your audience.
- Write an attention-grabbling subject line.
- Make sure images have alt text, (text that appears when images aren’t enabled.)
- Test before sending. Make sure links work and check the design works equally well on different browsers and devices.
15 newsletter content ideas to engage your subscribers
1. A company anniversary or milestone.
2. Behind-the-scenes look at your company.
3. Useful tips or how-to guide using video or photos.
4. New case study, testimonials or reviews.
5. New or improved product or service announcement.
6. Promotional offer or discount.
7. Results of a survey or study.
8. Updates from your social channels.
9. Roundup of your latest blog posts.
10. Interview with a team member or client.
11. “Thank You” to customers, donors or event attendees.
12. Before and after story.
13. Free resource download such as an e-book or infographic.
14. Advertisement for an event or other initiative.
15. Offer gated content when possible – this exclusive content only email subscribers can access, such as a report or checklist perhaps.
If you’d like to boost your business with a regular email newsletter, get in touch with us at Two Lizards on 01306 621001 or email email@example.com to find out how can help you.